Saturday, July 9, 2011

GORJESS EATS #1: My Twisted Tomato Rice Soup

I've never done a cooking post but I'm cooking all the time.  It's about time I post some of my successful cooxperiments (why on earth would I ever post the failed ones, not like there are any ;P)
So yeah, I actually made this gorjess original recipe today after being inspired by eating some tomato rice soup at the urth caffe.


tomato rice soup @urth caffe
451 South Hewitt Street, Los Angeles -
(213) 797-4534

It's a very simple soup, tasted like chef boyardi sauce watered up with a scoop of rice but it was delish nonetheless! So, I decided to make my own version of tomato rice soup using spicy chicken bratwursts, baby portabella mushrooms and corn for a twist on soup & can I just say it was a BIG HIT for dinner :)

What you'll need:
(Servings: 6)

3 ( you can use more if you like it meaty ~.^) spicy chicken bratwursts
2 cans del monte tomato sauce
4-6 roma tomatoes
1 white onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 package baby portabella mushrooms
1 whole white corn
2 tablespoons canola oil

2-3 quarts of water depending on how watery or thick you want your soup
1 1/2 cups of rice
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon

& the following spices vary to your taste:
lemon & pepper
garlic salt
parsley
black pepper


Start by heating up your pot & putting your oil. While waiting for the oil to heat up, proceed by mincing garlic and chopping onions. Brown garlic first and then sautee onions.

Add half a cup of water & then place brats in pot. I used Johnsonville's Spicy Chicken Bratwursts. The reason I only used three was 'cause that was all I had but it worked out perfectly :)








After the sausages have simmered long enough in water you have two options:

slice it up nice and pretty like sausages are usually cut

OR

smash it up like ground meat for the sole purpose of better meat distribution

You can guess which one I did. Just 'cause if I cut it up nice and pretty I don't think the sausages would've gone around as nice as it did.

dice up tomatoes and throw them in the pot


Add 2-3 quarts of water


 Add canned tomato sauce, rice & spices. Let simmer.

Smash up the tomato chunks when soft & add the mushrooms & corn!



 & BON APPETIT!




 Hope you enjoyed my twist on tomato rice soup & stay gorjess..body, mind & soul :)

0 comments: