Thursday, January 27, 2011

the anti-bride


"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being “in love” which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident." -- St. Augustine


When I was little, I dreamed of the quintessential fairytale wedding with my perfectly perfect prince charming. Fast forward a double decade or so and now you have the ANTI-BRIDE. I don't loathe weddings nor do I judge those who choose to have them,  I just feel for myself that I'd rather have a small, intimate simple wedding. Yes, I know, it's supposed to be one of the most memorable days of my life but so was the day I had my baby and I didn't decorate my delivery room with flowers and centerpieces or have a live quartet play as she ejected from my kuka! That moment was all about love; surrounding and celebrating life with love. And that is how I feel about my wedding. Instead of dressing in Vera, I'll dress in love. Instead of surrounding myself with flowers and centerpieces, I'll surround myself with loved ones, and instead of focusing on the BIG DAY, I'll focus on the rest of my days, my happily ever after. Because the big picture is, your wedding day is JUST A DAY but the marriage is the rest of your life. I think if more people put just as much effort into their marriage as they do their wedding day, there'd be a heck of a lot less divorces.


I'd rather try to be a perfect wife rather than the perfect bride.

3 comments:

omg mare! you're dress fitting already! I love it! congratulations again and I'm sooo happy for you!

hi there,

u really hv pretty hair .

aww I love this post. You're right, I'd rather be the wife than the perfect bride. I read somewhere the statistics now are 70-80% of marriages fail. I agree with a simple yet memorable wedding, it is just a day. Suppose to be a perfect day, but in the end, it's the marriage that is worth the while. I'm in no place to talk though. I'm going through a divorce right now and knew nothing when I got married. hehehe